1. What documents do I need to include in my application?
The following items will need to be included in a completed internship application:
- 1000 word written answer to applicable advertised question;
- Letter of interest;
- Curriculum vitae; and
- Two letters of recommendation.
Applications that are not submitted in accordance with the guidelines above will not be considered.
2. My referees will send their recommendation separate from my application, is this acceptable?
9BRi will accept letters of recommendations sent separately. Referees will be contacted prior to the commencement of the internship.
3. Can I send my application via post?
9BRi will only consider applications sent to: email@example.com
4. Will 9BRi provide me with any remuneration during my internship?
9BRi is not able to provide interns with remuneration, nor is it possible to provide any reimbursement for expenses incurred during the internship. All successful applicants are expected to make their own arrangements for travel into Chambers, accommodation and living expenses during the internship period.
5. How and when do I find out the status of my application?
9BRi will confirm receipt of applications via e-mail. All completed internship applications will be considered. Only successful candidates will be informed of their selection. 9BRi endeavors to inform all successful applicants of the dates of their internship at least one month prior to commencement.
6. What is the duration of an internship?
Internships will be set for periods of two, four or six months. Candidates are invited to indicate their preference in their application. Preference will be given to applicants who request an internship for the maximum duration (six months). Internships may be terminated by 9BRi in the event of unsatisfactory work.
7. How long in advance must I submit my application?
Positions will be advertised throughout the year. Deadlines for applications are indicated in the advertisement. Given the nature of the work, positions may become available at short notice. Interested candidates are therefore encouraged to check the website regularly for openings.
8. Are internship positions full-time?
Yes. All internship positions offered by 9BRi are full-time.
9. What are the selection criteria?
Interns must have a university degree or be in the final stage of their undergraduate studies. Preference will be given to legal professionals or law graduates who are acquainted with one or more of the following disciplines: international criminal law, public international law, international humanitarian law, human rights law, private international law, criminal law, comparative law, and criminology.
Experience working at an international tribunal or court, relevant NGOs or government institutions, and related coursework is highly desirable. Proficiency in English is essential. Knowledge of other languages, particularly Arabic, French, or Russian, is an asset. There is no age restriction for applicants.
10. How much detail do I need to know about current 9BRi cases?
Interns will receive a detailed induction package prior to commencement of their internship.
Interns are expected to have experience with one or more of the following disciplines: international criminal law, public international law, international humanitarian law, human rights law, private international law, criminal law, comparative law, and criminology.
11. Are internships reviewed?
There will be a formal evaluation process at the end of the internship which will be carried out by a member of 9BRi.
12. How are interns supervised?
Interns will be assigned to a case prior to arrival and appointed a supervisor for the duration of their internship. Interns are expected to show initiative and an ability to work independently.
13. Are all internships based in London?
Interns are expected to work from Chambers in London on a full-time basis. There may be opportunity to travel with other members of 9BRi depending on the circumstances.
14. What are my chances of employment at 9BRi after my internship?
There should be no expectancy of employment at 9BRi following the completion of the internship.
15. Where can I find out more information regarding the 9BRi Internship Programme?
Applicants are encouraged to thoroughly read our website. Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.